I've discovered some important differences you must understand when going from the US to Germany:
1) When driving in a neighborhood, the person coming from the right has the right-of-way since there are no stop signs. Just assume you NEVER have the right-of-way and you'll be fine!
2) Individual toilet paper sheets are a different size. This may not seem like a big deal, but you would be surprised how you tend to use the same amount each time and here, the roll doesn't have a breaking point right where I want it, so I have to decide if I should take more or less every time.
3) Energy is expensive in Germany, so you must put major electronics on power strips to easily turn them off when not in use to avoid paying for "phantom power."
4) German dryers have a bucket where they store the water they get out of the clothes. Be sure to empty this after every load or your dryer will turn off on its own and you'll be stuck with wet clothes.
5) Finally, all measurements here are different. Temperature, distance, time, etc. And while I would like to think Americans do most things the best way, I'm not convinced that making kids learn there are 12 inches in a foot, three feet in a yard and 5,200-ish feet in a mile was the smart thing to do when we could have implemented the simple base-10 metric system! Here, there are 100 centimeters in a meter and 1000 meters in a kilometer. That test would have been so much easier in third grade!
Yeah, it's ridiculous that we're basically the only country that doesn't use the metric system. Oh, and about those clothes dryers.. I assume they don't have exhaust vents? (I'm a sucker for useless knowledge :))
ReplyDelete