Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day Card

Father's Day in Germany comes right after Mother's Day in May, so it was an adventure trying to find my dad an appropriate card.  Since my German is less than elementary, I had to decipher the message on each card based on the pictures and the few words I could translate.

I found one card with a little bear on the front and a bigger "papa bear" on the inside who was relaxing in a recliner with a remote control and some popcorn.  I figured out that the front said something about "getting past the stress and when the work is done..." and then when I opened the card and could see "papa bear," it said "Geniesse deine Ruhestand."  Knowing a few words on the front and seeing the picture on the inside, I assumed the phrase said "Geniuses deserve rest."  I thought that would be a great message for my dad!

When I got home and translated the text online, I discovered the inside said "Enjoy your retirement!"  Ha!  I sent the card anyway and figured dad would get a kick out of it.  Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment