Since most of my friends are not soccer enthusiasts, I thought I should take a moment to discuss the HUGE event nearly one billion people around the world are focused on right now...the FIFA World Cup.
For an entire month from June 11 to July 11, 32 nations will square off to determine the best soccer team in the world, and this only happens every four years. It's like March Madness on steroids. While I don't know who this year's favorites are, the past winners are Brazil (5), Italy (4), Germany (3), Uruguay (2), Argentina (2), France (1) and England (1).
So if you notice World Cup references on Facebook or see USA flags hanging out car windows, there's a good chance those people are soccer fans and aren't getting much work done this month...Ha! And while I'd like to tell you that the USA team has a decent chance of winning, we haven't been in the top four since the first World Cup in 1930 and even then we only finished third. Sorry. Wait - I have an idea! Why not root for your buddies in Germany? They play today...check your local listings!
No comments:
Post a Comment