One thing you might notice when visiting Germany is that there are very few (if any) drive-thru options. You might find one at McDonald's (or as Alfons calls it, The American Embassy), but other restaurants don't have them, banks don't have them, drugstores don't have them and liquor stores certainly don't have them.
In fact, the entire idea of a drive-thru seems pretty strange to many Germans. Why would you waste gas and pollute the air just so you don't have to get out of your car? Are you lazy? I say to the Germans, "try running errands all day with kids in car seats and then tell those mom's they are lazy for not wanting to go into the bank to deposit a check!" Now if you don't have kids in the back (or another legitimate reason), I do think you should go inside, but that's just me!
On another note, I've been wanting to visit the Swiss Alps, but Alfons says I need to work up my walking muscles before we do that. I said, "We don't have to hike it. I just want to see it." He said the Alps are not a drive-thru adventure and that we should experience them from within. It's interesting how many Germans embrace nature to this extent and want to be a part of it, while Americans often think if they have seen it, that's good enough.
There are many things I love about this German adventure, like when I learn about the cultural differences, I get to decide on which side of the fence I sit. While I understand the desire to see beautiful things, I'm quickly going to the German side on this one. I agree that it's a whole different experience to be a part of nature rather than to only take a snapshot. Although there's a time and place for both options for sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment