Saturday, July 16, 2011

I understand only "Train Station"

I learned a GREAT German phrase recently that's come in pretty handy.

I was explaining to my students that most Americans know the word "Gesundheit" and that sometimes we say it when we don't understand what someone says. For example, if someone mumbles their words or talks really fast and you missed something, you might say, "Gesundheit. Did you say something?" My students thought that was hilarious!

So to return the favor, they explained to me that their equivalent is "Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof," which literally translates to "I understand only train station," when in reality they didn't understand anything the person just said.

Now I use that phrase all the time, because I often don't understand what people are saying to me in German. I can start a conversation or ask a question, but if I say it correctly and the people think I'm fluent, I usually get responses I can't understand and then I have to stop them and explain how bad my German is. It's a bit frustrating, but my new phrase has made it a bit more bearable!!

No comments:

Post a Comment