Since the only English television stations we get here are CNN and BBC, I watch a lot of news shows, and most of them are world news programs to be more specific. Watching these shows has made me realize that I know nothing about what's going on in most countries around the world. While I am pretty good at geography and at least know where the countries are on a map, I can't tell you the president or prime minister's name of any places outside the US. I don't know which countries are democratic and which are not. And I certainly can't explain the history of any country except the US...and that's still iffy.
I remember many years ago at an interview, the man on the other side of the table asked the infamous, "So what are your weaknesses or areas you'd like to improve upon, Cara?" While there's a mighty list of these things, the first one that came to mind was current event knowledge. (I had always been poor in history classes at school since my comprehension skills weren't up to par.) So I decided that day, many years ago, that I would try to do better at understanding current events and major happenings in world history so I wouldn't be the idiot in the room if someone wanted to discuss WWII.
I failed. I tried to watch some news, but quickly became overwhelmed by the names I couldn't pronounce, the cities I couldn't find on a map, and the religious groups I didn't know existed. While I don't expect to catch up on everything, being forced to watch CNN and BBC here in Germany have certainly boosted my current event knowledge and I am not afraid to ask Alfons to explain past events to me, as he's far better versed in history...be it European or anywhere else.
One thing I've learned so far is that I am extraordinarily blessed to have the opportunities I have had in both the USA and in Europe. Had I been born in a third-world country or one torn apart by war, I could not be where I am today.
Even when your day gets tough, remember your blessings. It may be difficult, but be thankful for everything you have, even a crappy job, a car with no A/C or a leaky faucet, as those things are only a dream for millions of people around the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment