Monday, July 5, 2010

Holiday Weekend

While the Germans don't celebrate Independence Day on July 4th, I still tried to make the best of my holiday weekend. On Saturday, the German soccer team was playing Argentina (the favorite) in the World Cup. We were trying to make it to the top 4 teams!!! Angela and Wolfgang invited me over to watch the game, since Alfons prefers to go bike riding during the games, because the trails are empty and he's not a soccer fan. Angela's friends Nicole and Anya joined us with their flags, facepaint, hand clappers and vuvuzela! (In case you haven't heard about the vuvuzelas, just Google it to read about the controversies those little plastic horns have caused in South Africa during the World Cup this year.)

I wore my new German shirt and stole Nicole's Deutschland hat. Then we all painted little German flags on our faces and cheered for our team. We had a blast and the Germans won 4-0!!!!!!  Woohoo!!!!!

After the amazing game, Wolfgang grilled some brats and frikadellen outside as we all chatted about nothing in particular on the patio. Nicole and Anya speak fairly good English and we've hung out together before, but this time they came prepared with a tiny little pocket translation dictionary. It was hilarious to see them say, "wait a minute...I have to look it up." They didn't want other people to tell them the words they needed, so we'd wait on them to figure it out.  It was fun!

I didn't do much on Sunday except hang out at the house with Alfons. I watched (aka slept through) Shrek and ate the Oreos I had bought a few days earlier to be sure I got a taste of the true American spirit on July 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment