Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Eight Months and Counting

Perhaps I should elaborate a bit more on my last post. To be honest, I was so busy that day I didn't have time to sit and put all my thoughts on paper, but I wanted to say something so I wouldn't forget the feeling I had that day.

When I moved from southern Indiana to Indianapolis at age 17, I called Louisville "home." After college, I got a job in Indianapolis and when I bought my house there in 2005, I called Indianapolis "home." While I don't know where life will take me in the future or how long exactly I'll be in Germany, I'm so happy to finally feel more "at home" here...after eight months.

When we landed in Stuttgart eight months ago, I was exhausted from the flight, from all the packing, and from saying goodbye to my dearest friends and family. Arriving in May was both exciting and unbelievably scary at the same time. I was glad to finally make it, but uncertain of what the near future would bring. I had sold my house, my car, my furniture and all but 15 boxes of memories stored in my mom's garage, and I really had no idea what this experience would be like, but I knew it was going to be an adventure!

When we landed in Stuttgart two weeks ago, after a wonderful trip back the Indiana to visit "home," I had a new feeling of comfort, relief and pride. I thought about how far I had come in my first eight months. No, I still don't really speak German, but now I know how to read the settings on the washing machine, I understand where I am allowed to park and for how long, and I have some German friends who like to speak English with me and love when I practice the new German words I learned in my class the night before. These may be little things, but they caused a lot of stress and loneliness in the beginning. Finally, things are falling into place and I'm feeling more "at home" in Germany, which is important since I plan to stay for a while!

I won't lie and say this journey's been easy, but it's really nice to feel so much more comfort and accomplishment now versus when I started this adventure. I still have a long way to go to feel comfortable in new situations and surroundings, but at least my daily routines aren't scary anymore. That's a huge step!

No comments:

Post a Comment