Alfons, on the other hand, is a pro at giving blood and since he was doing it last week, I thought I should give it a try too. Plus, I had some added motivation because my sister needed blood a couple years ago after a birthing complication and so I felt even more compelled to at least give it a try!
So...last Friday, Alfons and I went to a little community building in a nearby village that was having a Red Cross Blood Drive (or Blood Spend as they say in Germany). I was nervous on the way there thinking of the few times I'd been lightheaded when I gave little bits of blood in the past, so I warned Alfons that I wasn't 100% sure I could do it.
When we arrived, we got the paperwork to sign in (in German of course, which always makes me stressed), then we sat in a hallway where the doctors had little temporary offices to talk one-on-one to each patient. As we sat and waited, I began to recall the event two years ago when my sister needed blood after giving birth to my perfect little niece. Those emotions welled up in me and I couldn't hold back a tear or two. Alfons had no idea why I was crying and just said, "you don't have to give blood if you don't want." I answered, "I WANT to, but it's so scary!"
Alfons and I assumed we could go in to talk to one doctor together (so he could translate), but when the first available doctor said "next," she said only one person could go in at a time. That doctor said she didn't speak English very well, but assumed one of the other doctors would, so Alfons went with her and left me in the hall by myself! My stress level continued to rise as I didn't know what this doctor was going to ask me or even if he/she would speak English very well.
So the next door opened and I went in slowly. "Sprechen Sie Englisch?" I asked. "Oh, a little bit. Come on in and sit down," he said. It turned out that his English was excellent and he had a son living in Boston. He told me all about his son's triplets who are seven and how his son can't visit Europe so much since he only gets a few weeks of vacation time per year (silly Americans!). My visit with that doctor ended up just fine, but I was still super nervous and we hadn't even gone to the room where all the needles and empty bags were!
So Alfons was waiting for me outside and we walked upstairs together. The doctor had told me to drink some Coke before I gave blood because I hadn't drank enough that day yet, so Alfons and I went to the little drink station, poured me a big glass of Coke and sat down for a break. Unfortunately, I don't drink Coke very often and the bubbles made my stomach hurt. That didn't help my nerves any.
After I finished my soda, we walked into the donation room and there were lots of people laying on little cots giving blood and other people over at a table reading the newspaper with their arms held above their heads. I tried not to look at any of the people laying down just in case it would make me woozy, so I walked with Alfons straight over to the nursing table to get my finger pricked. Again, I thought Alfons and I could do that part together so he could translate, but they separated us and the lady who pricked my finger didn't speak English. I didn't mind the prick, but she started talking to me in German, which I couldn't understand, and when I looked over for Alfons' help translating, he was too far away to hear me.
At that moment, I couldn't play strong anymore. I started crying (quietly) and another nurse came over to me and said (in English), "It's okay. You don't have to give blood today. Come back another time." I told them I just needed a few minutes to calm down because I REALLY wanted to give blood, but by that time, they had taken my paperwork away and told Alfons I couldn't give blood because I was too upset. Alfons said they don't want anyone to feel forced to do it, and I understand that, but I just wanted a few minutes to get hold of my nerves and then try again. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option at that point.
Alfons still wanted to give blood while we were there, so the English-speaking nurse suggested I go with him and watch so I know how it works. She showed me how they measure the amount and calculate the time, then let me sit on her nursing stool. That was good, because going through the motions this time will surely ease my nerves for the next try.
After seven and a half minutes, Alfons was done and we walked over to the newspaper reading table. I noticed it was mostly guys and just one girl. I assumed more girls gave blood than guys, but now that I've been through it, I suppose guys do it more because they're stronger. But Alfons said I'm the strongest chicken he knows! :-)
Next time, I'm GOING to give blood...and I'm going to get a sticker too!!!
You can DO it, girl! xoxoxo
ReplyDelete