I've now realized that Americans are pill lovers! We have an over-the-counter pill for every problem...even for different versions of the same problem. We not only have cold medicine, but there's sinus cold medicine, sore throat cold medicine, coughing cold medicine, body aches cold medicine, daytime cold medicine, nighttime cold medicine, etc, etc, etc.
Here in Germany, there's just all-natural heal-the-body medicines. Their medicines don't really cure the problems, but are supposed to make you get over it more quickly. And the selection available is not great!
Alfons and I got a head cold this week and luckily I had some Aleve Cold & Sinus in my purse. When he asked what type of medicine it was, I said "it will make you feel like you're not sick and you can plow through the day like normal." He then replied something like, "so it's not going to cure the sickness, but instead just cover up the symptoms? How does that help me get better?" I laughed!
Americans have too many things on their to-do list to be sick! They have work to do, kids to pick up, meals to cook, bills to pay, lawns to mow...and there's just no time to be sick, so they do what they can to just "plow through it."
While I didn't mind being sick this week since I'm not working right now and have nothing on my to-do list, I wonder how I'll feel when I have to call in sick to work or cancel evening plans once my Aleve runs out.
No comments:
Post a Comment